Who knew?
A couple of months ago, T pooped for the first time at school. He was excited about it and it was the first thing he mentioned when I picked him up. I asked who helped him clean himself and he said no one, he did it himself. I asked several times and the answer remained the same. I said that's great, but suggested we check him when we got home. I was frightened about what I might find... I found nothing. Huh.
I kept meaning to ask his teachers if he did, in fact, clean himself but kept forgetting.
Then, the other week, he hadn't pooped for 4 days and I was concerned. I kept asking if he had to poop and he kept saying no. Finally he told me he pooped at school the day before. I wasn't sure whether to believe him because he didn't mention it when it happened and had made such a big deal about it the first time.
So, that morning, I asked his teachers. After some thought, they recalled he had pooped a couple days ago. I then asked if he cleaned himself and they said he had - they only help kids when the kids ask. I was shocked. And, again, frightened about what was in the laundry.
When we got home that day I went through the laundry and I found the underwear he had worn. It wasn't bad. It wasn't bad at all.
The next time he pooped at home I asked for a demonstration. He did great.
How did he learn? We had been holding off on teaching T to wipe himself. Total laziness and not wanting to deal with the possible mess. But, somehow, he just knew how to do it.
I guess this means he is almost completely potty trained. He just needs to stay dry at night and that is it. Even that hasn't been so bad, he has about 2 accidents a week but is still in pull ups so mess is non-existant. He has suggested he get rid of the nighttime pull ups and I have said he can when he goes dry for 4 days. We haven't gotten there yet.
The best part about all of this is that it took minimal effort on our part. When he turned 3 he decided he was a big boy and started to us the potty. No hassling from us. And, without any help, he learned to wipe himself.
Thanks, T, for making it so easy! Hopefully Emma will be as awesome as you. :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment